The National Center for Plastic Arts in full construction of the collections before its move

The National Center for Plastic Arts in full construction of the collections before its move

DEFENSE-92.FR/CNAP/ADAGP

Under the slab, thousands of works of art.To find the National Center for Plastic Arts (CNAP) on the Esplanade de la Défense (Hauts-de-Seine), you have to locate La Défonce, a monumental metal sculpture by François Morellet which sinks into the ground where the public establishment is deployed in depth since the turn of the 1990s.Discreet entrance for a structure that Béatrice Salmon, its director, describes as "transparent".This is the particularity of this omnipresent and little-known institution, born in 1971: it has some 105,000 pieces, all disciplines combined, but no exhibition space.

Its rich collections are indeed visible only outside its walls: in all museums, but also in high schools, courts, town halls, prefectures, ministries, even at the Elysee.Loans or deposits, 60% of its fund is in permanently exhibited in France and abroad.The remaining 40% are spread over two sites, the main one at La Défense, with around 37,000 pieces over 6,000 m2, and the rest in an annex in Saint-Ouen-l ' Aumône (Val-d'Oise), which welcomes very large formats.

The two reserves will join at the end of 2024 in Pantin (Seine-Saint-Denis), where the CNAP will move into the 25,000 m2 of a storage building, where an additional 6,000 m2 will be occupied by reserves from the Mobilier National Until then, an “essential” operation, underlines Béatrice Salmon, is underway: the collection work site, launched a few months ago.A large-scale operation over three years, which aims to sift through the fund."You have to make sure that everything is well protected, documented, up to date, before the transfer", details Frédérique Vincent, coordinator of this project and of the twenty people who joined the establishment to carry out the mission.

Posted Date: 2021-02-18

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.